Readeo was started by a group of dads who found it difficult to keep their young children connected to out of town family members. They tried video chat services, but those didn’t keep their children’s attention long enough to create a meaningful experience. Realizing that few things engage children better than reading together, they decided to combine the experience of story time with video chat. Readeo combines beautifully illustrated, award-winning children’s books with high-quality video chat to give families a way to share story time from anywhere through the special experience of BookChat™. Readeo lets you and your loved ones flip through pages of a virtual book while seeing and talking to one another on-screen, just as if you were in the same room. Stay close to your little loved ones from miles away. All you need is a Readeo account, a webcam, and a love of children’s books.
- Unlimited access to all the children’s books in the Readeo library
- Hand-picked books from Editor Jenny Brown, former Children’s Book Reviews Editor for Publisher’s Weekly, with over 25 years experience in children’s books
- Readeo library is cultivated from top children’s book publishers, including Simon & Schuster, Chronicle Books, Blue Apple Books, and Candlewick Press
- BookChat™ with unlimited guests for free
- Preview books and create bookshelves
- Endless reading benefits: - Stimulates growing brains
- Encourages language development
- Fosters a love of reading
- Creates memories
- Establishes a routine
1. Login. Click "Get Started Now" on your confirmation page or confirmation email to be directed to http://myreadeo.com/login. Enter your email address and the five character temporary password provided to you in your confirmation page or confirmation email. Click "Log me in"
2. Find a friend. Find a friend in your Friend’s List with a green icon, signifying that they’re online. Click your friend’s name and then click “Join BookChat”. Once your friend accepts, you’ll be connected.
3. Bookchat! Start reading and share story time from afar. Select a book from Readeo's bookshelves or create your own bookshelf. You can hear your friend as you read, and see your friend at the bottom of your screen, just below the book. Either of you can turn the pages of the book.
“Long-distance relationships are difficult enough to maintain among adults, but when young kids are involved, the chances of achieving a meaningful conversation from afar tend to diminish. That’s where Readeo comes in, with a newly launched platform that lets families share bedtime stories through the web.” --Springwise.com(sponsored review)
“Think of it as Skype meets story hour: You see and “turn” pages of the book, and hear and watch sweet Aunt Betty as she recites it. …[This] should get even your most technology-shy grandparents talking.” --Daily Candy Kids, "Goodnight Story 2.0"(sponsored review)
“At home, this site would be fabulous for reading in sync and online (same book) with distant family or friends. At school, it would allow classrooms to share a book with pen pals [...] It would also be an option for logging in books on the nightly reading log. I personally liked being able to read through new titles by the great publishers Readeo is partnered with, and know if I would like them in my own classroom.”--Creative Literacy(sponsored review)
“Pure happiness for many: grandparents and grandkids, a military parent and kids, and any other person who wants to read to a child but has miles in-between them. ”--Fantastic Find(sponsored review)
“As a former military spouse, I would have loved for this to be around a couple years ago when my husband was deployed overseas. It would have been great for my (then) 1 year old to be able to see and hear his Daddy during his bedtime story. I hope that you don’t have to be separated from your loved ones, but if you do, this is a great way to connect and interact while you are away.”--Spoiled but Not Rotten(sponsored review)
“Readeo is a great example of how the Internet can bring people together to share an activity that has traditionally taken place offline but has become more challenging as families are forced to be physically apart.” --Tech Cocktail(sponsored review)
“I can’t stop thinking about all the applications for this wonderful site: Military parents can tuck in their kids at night, grandparents who live far away can choose a favorite bedtime story to tell, divorced parents can share bedtime duties, parents traveling on business don’t have to miss out on a quiet moment with their children. Heck, my kids even like the novelty of sitting on my lap and reading a book on the computer with me, without the webcam at all. ”--Cool Mom Picks(sponsored review)
“He travels. He works late. If he has a Readeo subscription he can still read the kids a bedtime story.”--Design Mom(sponsored review)
“I love that [my son] can now read books with his fellow 2 year old friends! We read a couple of books with a few of his friends and he had a blast! Sometimes I think he was a bit distracted by seeing the other little boy on the screen but at the same time he still was looking at the book and telling his friend about it. It was really cute to watch them together! One of the moms we read with said, “They can’t tear or chew on them!” So very true! This is also a great way for kids to interact with distant grandparents. Being that my husband’s family is half way across the country, the boys don’t get to see Grandma very often. Now she can read a bedtime story with them! This would also be super awesome if a parent was deployed overseas or on business!"--IHaveACoupon(sponsored review)